Sunday, June 07, 2009

Ole!

I finally started taking guitar lessons in an organized way. Flamenco guitar. Yeah baby. Right now I'm still sounding like a chicken pecking at a guitar, but I have faith.

I took another class today, at the end of which my teacher asked me what sort of sports I do. We ended up talking about martial arts and Jeet Kune Do, and that's when I discovered that my teacher met Bruce Lee once, to watch him train.

Funny world.

The story of finding this guitar teacher is a nice one. I decided it's time to take lessons, and called up a nearby music store. They said yes, we can teach guitar, but not really flamenco guitar, and so they gave me the number for a teacher that used to work for them, but now opened his own business. I called him and he said yes, we could teach You some flamenco guitar here, but we wouldn't really be able to take You very far. So he gave me a number for another guy, who's a performing artist. I called up this guy, and he said oh yes, I'd be happy to teach You, but I always refer potential students to my teacher first, and only if he can't take anybody on, I will take them - out of respect, You know. So I called up the guy's teacher and he said sure, come on by.

So that's who I've been studying with. Great guy, great guitarist, lots of fun. Lori has been joining to take flamenco dance classes, and so while she stomps I peck, and there is lots of noise and merriment.

I find this story very heartwarming - that people would be willing to literally lose business, in order to provide the best learning experience possible. That's real professionalism. And real humility.

On other fronts: I feel like I'm not doing any service (as in, helping other people). Starting to think about it more seriously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"a chicken pecking at a guitar" - You? - Somehow I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

Should we paint your long nails soon?