Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Chinese allies in the quest for reducing trash


Lots of food around Penn, especially in the form of food trucks. Lots of vegetarian food, too, which makes me extra happy.

I was introduced to the Veggie Food truck by Carolyn when she visited here (naturally, she told me about it, even though I've been living here for 3 months by that point). Nice people selling good food in disposable aluminum containers and a plastic cover, all to go straight into the trash once I'm done eating.

Feels like a waste. So I took my handy collapsible Tupperware bowl that Paul got for me (thanks, Paul!) and on my next visit to the Veggie Food truck asked if they could put my food there.

The guy looked at me for a second, blinked a couple of times, and said "umm, no." He explained that he would love to, but he would have problems with his insurance company, since they can't guarantee that my container is clean.

Personally, I wasn't convinced. But hey, it's his business.

Today I went over to the Chinese Food truck for the very first time (it's parked right next to the Japanese Food truck, the Indian Food truck, the Mediterranean Food truck, and right across from the Penn gym where all the active-looking people can run in place and look at the food outside the window).

The Chinese girl was happy to serve me in my bowl. I'm happy to eat from it. Everybody wins. :-)

Okay, enough writing. Time to eat.

3 comments:

Valeria said...

Really, I did not know they would use your own container?! I heard about the veggie cart (from you). Well, it is good to know!

Also, about the gym - I never paid attention to the carts while working out. Actually, I did not even know those were food carts until someone told me! HAHA

well, now I need to remember to bring my container on Monday :)

Tamara said...

I've had good luck bringing containers into restaurants for take-out; the only place that refused was the movie theater of all places! (for popcorn) - I was pissed.

Eran said...

Good call - yes, I've always received nice responses from restaurant staff when I pull out my containers. Also saves time waiting for them to do it. :-) For whatever reason, it's only the street vendors that are occasionally funny about it.